Our Code of Conduct & Ethics
Reiki Guild South Africa
Code of Conduct & Ethics
All Guild Members are required to accept the following Code of Conduct & Ethics and agree to:
- Treat all clients and/or students with respect, regardless of their culture, religious beliefs, race, colour, creed, gender or sexual orientation.
- Not make any claims that Reiki can cure or heal specific medical conditions. Reiki is a complementary therapy and should not be used as a replacement for traditional medical care.
- Not diagnose medical conditions unless medically qualified to do so. Practitioners must encourage clients with a medical condition to see a licensed healthcare provider.
- Not use titles or descriptions that are suggestive of medical qualifications, unless they have the necessary qualifications and are registered with the appropriate professional body.
- Ensure signed consent from a parent, guardian or medical professional when treating minors or those without the mental capacity to decide for themselves. However the wishes of the person must override any consent given by a third party.
- Maintain full client records, including details of all treatments and advice, whether face-to-face, absent, distant or by phone/email.
- Keep all client information confidential (incl. medical history, personal beliefs and treatment preferences). Any information discussed during a Reiki session is confidential between client and practitioner.
- Comply with the POPIA laws and all relevant legislation of South Africa or their country of practice.
- Maintain a professional practice, neat appearance and a clean and comfortable treatment space.
- Continually work to foster and maintain the trust of clients and the general public.
- Respect and value all other Practitioners and Masters and work to create harmony and co-operation and refrain from making negative statements about other Practitioners or Masters, regardless of their lineage or organisational affiliation.
- Deal with potential client complaints professionally.
- Encourage all clients and/or students to use their own inner guidance to decide who to receive Reiki from, or who to study Reiki with – including the possibility of studying with a different teacher, or more than one teacher.
- Always work to empower their clients and/or students to heal themselves and to encourage and assist them in their personal growth, as well as assisting students in the development of their Reiki practice.
- Continually endeavour to embody and fully express the essence of Reiki and the Reiki principles in everything that they do, including their own healing.
- Abstain from the use of drugs or alcohol during any professional activities.
- Not use copyrighted material when teaching, unless written permission has been granted and credit is given.
- Refrain from any action that will be harmful or slanderous to the Guild or any of its Members, and that could bring the Guild or its Members into disrepute.
- Practice truth in advertising and not mislead or deceive consumers, keeping within the law of The South African Code of Advertising Practice (SACAP) including:
– Making false or misleading claims about the services offered.
– Comparing oneself to other Practitioners or Teachers in a way that is unfair or misleading.
– Using testimonials from clients without their consent.
– Making claims about the success rate of treatments or procedures.
– Using images or language that is sexually suggestive or otherwise inappropriate.
– Exploiting clients lack of knowledge or understanding of Reiki.
Join Our Community